Digital, AF/AE single-lens reflex camera with built-in flash
SD, SDHC and SDXC Memory Cards
Not compliant to UHS-I (Ultra High Speed) standards.
Compatible with Eye-Fi Cards.
Multimedia cards (MMC) cannot be used. (A card error will be displayed.)
Approx. 22.3mm x 14.9mm
Canon EF Lenses (including EF-S lenses, excluding EF-M lenses)
Canon EF mount
Effective pixels: Approx. 18.00 megapixels
Total pixels: Approx. 18.70 megapixels
Approx. 4.30 µm square
3:2 (Horizontal : Vertical)
Color Filter System
RGB primary color filters
Low Pass Filter
Fixed position in front of the image sensor
Dust Deletion Feature
- Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
- The coordinates of the dust adhering to the low-pass filter are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
- The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided software to automatically erase the dust spots.
- Self Cleaning Sensor Unit not provided.
Design Rule for Camera File System 2.0 and EXIF 2.3
Large: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5184 x 3456)
Medium: Approx. 8.00 Megapixels (3456 x 2304)
Small 1: Approx. 4.50 Megapixels (2592 x 1728)
Small 2: Approx. 2.50 Megapixels (1920 x 1280)
Small 3: Approx. 0.35 Megapixels (720 x 480)
RAW: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5184 x 3456)
The following three types of file numbering method can be set:
- Continuous numbering
- The numbering of captured images will continue even after you replace the card. (The numbering continues even when the folder changes.)
- When you replace the card, the numbering will be reset to start from 0001. If the new card already contains images, the numbering will continue from the last recorded image in the card.
- Rest the file number to 0001, and creates a new folder automatically.
sRGB, Adobe RGB
- User Defined 1-3
- In Basic Zone modes, "Auto" is set automatically.
- In Creative Zone modes, you can select and set the Picture Style.
- Default settings for [User Defined 1-3] are [Auto].
Auto White Balance
Auto white balance with the image sensor
Color Temperature Compensation
Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels
Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
- Corrected in reference to the current WB mode's color temperature.
Color Temperature Information Transmission
Eye-level single lens reflex (with fixed pentamirror)
Approx. 95% vertically and horizontally (with Eye point approx. 21mm)
Approx. 0.8x / 22.4° (-1m-1 (dpt) with 50mm lens at infinity)
Approx. 21 mm (At -1m-1 from the eyepiece lens center)
Dioptric Adjustment Correction
Adjustable from approx. -2.5 to +0.5 m-1 (dpt)
Quick-return half mirror (Transmittance: reflectance ratio of 40:60)
- AF information (AF points and focus confirmation)
- Exposure information(Shutter speed, aperture, ISO speed, AE lock, Exposure level, exposure warning)
- Flash information (Flash ready, flash exposure compensation, high-speed sync, FE lock, red-eye reduction light)
- Image information (Highlight tone priority, Monochrome shooting, maximum burst, white balance correction, SD card information)
Depth Of Field Preview
Enabled with Custom Function
TTL secondary image-forming phase-difference detection system with AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
Cross-type AF sensitive to f/5.6 with center AF point
AF Working Range
With One-Shot AF
EV 0-18 (center AF point)
EV 1-18 (other AF points)
(at room temperature and ISO 100, based on Canon's testing standards)
- One-Shot AF
- Predictive AI Servo AF
- AI Focus AF
- Switches between One-Shot AF and AI Servo AF automatically.
AF Point Selection
- Manual selection
- Auto selection
- AF point selection for Basic Zone modes is fixed to Automatic selection.
Selected AF Point Display
Indicated by superimposed display in the viewfinder and on the LCD monitor.
AF Assist Beam
Intermittent firing of built-in flash
Center: Approx. 13.1 ft. / 4.0m
Periphery: Approx. 11.5 ft. / 3.5m
With an EOS-dedicated Speedlite attached, the Speedlite's AF-assist beam is emitted instead.
Dual-layer metering sensor with the area divided into 63 zones.
* Spot metering mode not provided.
- Evaluative metering (linked to all AF points)
- Partial metering at the center of the viewfinder (approx. 10% of viewfinder)
- Center-weighted average metering
EV 1-20 (room temperature, ISO 100, evaluative metering)
Exposure Control Systems
- Program AE (Shiftable)
- Shutter-priority AE
- Aperture-priority AE
- Manual exposure (including bulb)
- Scene Intelligent Auto (Program AE/non-shiftable)
- Flash Off
- Creative Auto
- Night Portrait
ISO Speed Range
|Shooting Mode||ISO Settings|
|Scene Intelligent Auto, Flash off, Creative Auto, Landscape, Close-up, Sports, Food, Night Portrait||ISO 100–3200|
|P, TV, Av, M*1||ISO 100–6400*2|
|With flash||ISO 800*3,4,5,6|
*1 ISO 800 for Bulb exposures.
*2 Depends on the maximum ISO speed that has been set.
*3 If fill-flash results in overexposure, the ISO speed can be set to ISO 100 at the minimum.
*4 When the maximum ISO speed is ISO 400, the speed is fixed at ISO 400.
*5 If a bounce flash with an external Speedlite is used in Basic Zone modes (except Night Portrait) or P mode, the ISO speed is automatically set within ISO 800 to ISO 1600 (or up to the maximum ISO speed) in accordance with the brightness.
*6 Fixed to ISO 400 in Food mode. If you use bounce flash with an external Speedlite in P mode, the ISO speed is automatically set in the range within ISO 400 to ISO 1600.
|Shooting Mode||Correction Factor|
- Auto AE lock
Manual AE lock
- In the One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering, AE lock takes effect when focus is achieved.
- In the P, Tv, Av, and M modes, enabled with the AE lock button. (Press again to update.)
- Enabled in all metering modes.
Vertical-travel shutter with electronic first-curtain control and mechanical second-curtain control
1/4000 to 30 sec., Bulb (Total shutter speed range)
X-sync at 1/200 sec.
- Settable in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments.
Soft-touch electromagnetic release
10-sec. or 2-sec. Delay
Shutter Lag Time
- During SW-1 ON, time lag between SW-2 ON and start of exposure: approx. 0.12 sec.
- Time lag between simultaneous SW-1/SW-2 ON and start of exposure: Approx. 0.24 sec.
Auto pop-up, retractable, built-in flash in the pentamirror
Flash Metering System
E-TTL II autoflash (Evaluative, Average), FE lock
Approx. 30.2 ft./9.2m (at ISO 100)
Approx. 2 sec.
Up to approx. 17mm focal length (equivalent to approx. 28mm in 135 format)
Flash Exposure Compensation
Up to ±2 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
Flash exposure compensation for built-in flash and external Speedlite can be set with the camera.
E-TTL II autoflash (evaluative flash metering and average flash metering), FE lock
Flash Exposure Compensation
±2 stops in 1/3-stop or 1/2-stop increments
- Single shooting
- Continuous shooting
10-sec. self-timer2-sec. self-timerContinuous shooting after 10-sec. self-timer
- Max. approx. 3.0 fps
- Shutter speed 1/500 sec., Maximum aperture
- Continuous shooting speed may become slower depending on the shutter speed, aperture, subject condition, brightness, lens kind, flash use, battery remaining capacity, etc.
Continuous Shooting Speed
Max. approx. 3.0 fps
Image File Size/Number of Possible Shots/Maximum Burst During Continuous Shooting:
|Image Recording Quality||Image File Size|
|Maximum Burst (Approx.)|
|RAW + Large/Fine||24.5 + 6.4||230||5|
The file size, possible shots and maximum burst during continuous shooting are the values obtained when measurements are done with the 8GB card of Canon’s testing standards under the conditions of Canon’s testing standards (ISO 100, Picture Style set to Standard). These figures may differ depending on the shooting conditions.
“Full” indicates that continuous shooting is possible until the card becomes full.
Evaluative metering (315-zone)
- AE lock possible. The active metering timer can be changed.
EV 0-20 (room temperature, ISO 100)
One of two types of grids can be selected and displayed on the screen.
- Grid 1:2 vertical and 2 horizontal lines
- Grid 2:5 vertical and 3 horizontal lines
Movie: MPEG4 AVC/H.264
* Variable (average) bit rate
Audio: Linear PCM
1920 x 1080 (30 fps/24 fps): 340 MB/min.
1280 x 720 (60 fps): 340 MB/min.
640 x 480 (30 fps): 90 MB/min.
1920 x 1080 (Full HD): 30 fps (29.97 fps) / 24 fps (23.98 fps)
1280 x 720 (HD): 60 fps (59.94 fps)
640 x 480 (SD): 30 fps (29.97 fps)
Continuous Shooting Time
Continuous Shooting Time
|Movie Recording Size||Total Recording Time per Card|
|1920 x 1080||29.97 fps||22 min.||44 min.||1 hr. 29 min.||2 hr. 59 min.||340 MB/min.||46 Mbps|
|1280 x 720||59.94 fps||22 min.||44 min.||1 hr. 29 min.||2 hr. 59 min.||340 MB/min.||46 Mbps|
|640 x 480||29.97 fps||1 hr. 25 min.||2 hr. 50 min.||5 hr. 40 min.||11 hr. 20 min.||90 MB/min.||11 Mbps|
* Actual frame rates are as follows:
60 fps: 59.94 fps, 30 fps: 29.97 fps, 24 fps: 23.98 (23.976) fps
- Contrast AF
- Manual focus
- Magnify the image by 5x or 10x and focus manually.
Possible (±3 stops in 1/3-stop increments)
TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
3.0-inch (Screen aspect ratio of 4:3)
Approx. 7.5cm diagonal (approx. 6.0cm wide, approx. 4.5cm high)
Approx. 920,000 dots
Approx. 170° vertically and horizontally
Adjustable to one of seven levels
25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukrainian, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
- Single image display
Index display; 4 or 9 images
- Basic information
- Basic information + image quality / image file number
- Shooting information
- Histogram display
On the detailed information and histogram displays, highlight areas with no image data will blink.
- When you press the Quick Control button while shooting images, you can set various functions.
- The functions that can be set vary depending on whether the shooting mode is viewfinder shooting, Live View shooting or movie shooting.
Erase protection can be applied or canceled for a single image, all images in a folder or all images in the card.
Erase unprotected image(s) with selection from Single image, Selected images, All images on folder or All images in a card.
PictBridge-compatible and Wi-Fi equipped printers
RAW and JPEG images compliant to Design rule for Camera File System.
Movies cannot be printed.
Complies to DPOF Version 1.1
11 Custom Functions with 33 settings settable with the camera
Camera User Settings
My Menu Registration
Up to six kinds of function settings can be selected and registered from the Menu options or any of the top-tier menu options of Custom Functions.
Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0)
- For computer communication and PictBridge
- For connection with the GPS receiver GP-E2
Video Out Terminal
HDMI Type C (Resolution switches automatically)
Video output: (Switches automatically to 1, 2, 3 or 4 to suit the TV set.)
Extension System Terminal
Compatible with Remote Switch RS-60E3
- Canon cameras are not guaranteed to support Eye-Fi card functions, including wireless transfer. In case of an issue with the Eye-Fi card, please consult with the card manufacturer. The use of Eye-Fi cards may not be approved in all regions, or from one region to another; please contact the card manufacturer for status of approval in the country/region of use.
Battery Pack LP-E10 x 1
- The camera can be powered by an AC power supply by using the household power outlet accessories (sold separately).
Number of Shots
Camera body only
|Shooting Method||Temperature||Shooting Conditions|
|AE 100%||AE 50%, FA 50% (Based on CIPA testing standards)|
|Viewfinder Shooting||At 73Â°F/23Â°C||Approx. 600||Approx. 500|
|At 32Â°F/0Â°C||Approx. 580||Approx. 410|
|Live View Shooting||At 73Â°F/23Â°C||Approx. 190||Approx. 180|
|At 32Â°F/0Â°C||Approx. 180||Approx. 170|
Automatic battery check when the power switch is turned ON.
Battery level indicated in one of the four levels on LCD monitor.
Power turns off after the set time of non-operation elapses
* [Auto power off] settable to 30 sec., 1 min., 2 min., 4 min., 8 min., 15 min. or disable
Built-in secondary battery
Maintains date/time for about 3 months when fully charged
Approx. 0.1 sec. (Based on CIPA testing standards)
Dimensions (W x H x D)
Approx. 5.08 x 3.99 x 3.06 in. / 129.0 x 101.3 x 77.6mm
Approx. 17.11 oz. / 485g (In accordance with CIPA guidelines) Approx. 15.52 oz. / 440g (Body only)